Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What Is a Healthy Boundary?

Healthy Boundaries

What is a Boundary?

A boundary is the periphery of the energetic field that emanates from our center and orients us in the world in relationship to other beings, things and situations.

When our boundaries are intact we feel a sense of well-being, autonomy and an "I am-ness."

"Having a container that has no leaks (clear boundaries) allows for more of the experience to be felt", writes Saida Desilets in her book Emergence of the Sensual Woman. "When our boundaries have been crashed into by another, or if we fail to consciously set our own boundaries, we can become uprooted from our center, unsettled in our own skin, stuck in our energy, less potent and powerful".

Boundaries are not walls

Often boundaries are mistakenly thought of as separating us from each other. The truth is, however, that when we learn how to have healthy and distinctive boundaries, we can be more truly present with each other, and more authentically connected. Identifying the meaning of having authentic boundaries, we're more naturally motivated to create them. Remember, boundaries are not walls meant to keep others out, they are defining parameters that allow us to have more of who we authentically are.

When I teach, present or facilitate group process, I notice that the way I relate to the group is strongly influenced by my ability to stay conscious of my boundary. Without a sense of my own boundary I'll often feel unsure of being able to hold the space for the group, most likely because I am not even really holding the space for myself.

When first I hold the space for me, by consciously creating my own boundary however, there's an instant sense of coming home in my own body. This connection to myself is what it means to be in my power. From this place I can hold a reverent and dynamic space for others, inspiring them to trust in my leadership.

Notice:

Notice in this moment if you have a sense of yourself beyond your own physical body.

If you do, how far does your energetic body extend in this moment in a 360 degree radius around you. This tells you how much space your taking up and letting others know you need and deserve.

If you don't, how is this showing up in your relationships with others? Do you feel seen, heard and respected? A lack of boundaries can often result in lack of acknowledgment by those around you.

Ask yourself these questions and notice.

In my next few posts I'll share more about having healthy, authentic, felt sense boundaries so that your relationships flourish and you feel safe in your own body.

Leela Francis is a speaker, facilitator and Embody Power Expert. She's the founder and CEO of Vividly Woman, helping women to tap into their embodies power to become thriving, healthy and fulfilled leaders, personally and professionally.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More