Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sororities and Rights of Passage Pondered

One topic that has always been the intrigue of men is Sororities, perhaps because there are secrets lurking from within, thus making it so interesting a subject. We've all heard about the pledges, and what it takes to join, and many Hollywood Movies have focused on what goes on inside those doors on campus. Obviously, these movies accentuate the petty politics known to all organizations, along with the sexual exploits that may or may not be the reality of such.

Nevertheless, there is much more to this story, and in case you'd like to know, perhaps, I might very much recommend a very good book to you. I briefly scanned through it recently, and found it quite fascinating, and although I was not overwhelmed with surprise, I was able to learn a few things. If you are a man who wants to know, I recommend this book. And if you are a woman, who is thinking of joining or has never been a member, there are things in this book you too should realize. The name of this book is:
"Pledged - The Secret Life of Sororities" by Alexandra Robbins, Hyperion Books, New York, NY, (2004), 372 pages, ISBN: 1-4013-0046-4.

Although the author of this book admits she was never a sorority gal herself, her totally in-depth research goes well beyond that minor inconvenience. The author talks about breast size rankings, naked party traditions, and in this expose there are stories of binge drinking, mind games, prostitution, loyalty, and drug abuse. After reading this, I can say I certainly wouldn't want my daughter in such a group.

The stories in this book are fascinating, and troubling, most of all interesting, and thus, like I said, I'd recommend this book to you if you are considering joining a sorority, or if you've always wondered what really goes on there. Please consider all this.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More