Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Where Were the Women While History Was Created?

I took a new turn on my pathway of spiritual growth and development when I became aware of the National Women's History Project and their goal to write women back into history. It was a surprise turn, one that I didn't see coming. It is one that will be taking me to new places internally and externally. Discovering the National Women's History Project caused me to hit my pause button and take stock of my ignorance about women's history. I realized that most of my role models from history had been men. I don't feel there was anything wrong with that as I learned and emulated many helpful characteristics. However, I realized that I also bought into the cultural beliefs about the inferiority of women. I was appalled by the realization that unconsciously I had accepted many of the negative cultural beliefs about females that I had grown up with even when I rebelled against them.

I remembered a conversation with my stepfather when I was a teenager and I told him I wanted to go to college. He said, "College is a waste for girls because they grow up and get married and have babies." I remember a sinking feeling in my stomach. It was not only what he said but how he said it. It was an unquestionable truth for him. Unknowingly I accepted it. I didn't realize this until years later when I got my Bachelor's Degree after struggling for 10 years. My Master's only took 18 months.

What made finding the Women's History Project so triggering for me? It brought to my awareness how in believing I was less than a man I have driven myself trying to be good enough. It may be the 21st century but the state of women world-wide continues to need improvement. I believe women have to stop waiting for permission to express our genius and creativity in partnership with those who are working to better the lives women and children.

I believe we need a different kind of role model for our girls, teenagers, and young women than I see in the media. They are preoccupied with how they look and what they have rather than their creative genius and compassion. The Women's History Project offers real-life women's stories. Yes, we had some 'honorable mentions' in our history books but they don't begin to show what women were and are doing. These women who were not written into our history books were women who changed our world for the better against difficult odds. They were mothers and wives who still contributed to social change and the betterment of life for others.

Their stories were not valued enough to be put into our history books. They are true heroines. Their stories are inspirational. Learning about them have provided me with a greater sense of value and worth for myself and my possibilities. Their stories are our stories. Ones we can stand on, draw strength from and motivate ourselves to take more positive actions. We have a world crying out for what women naturally bring to the table. Our fears keep us from taking action.

The thinking that got us into the problems we are experiencing is not the same thinking that will find solutions. The relational thinking of women can offer much to finding these solutions. But women need to step up and make ourselves heard from a love-based partnership living way. We need to be as courageous as those who stand behind us.

To learn more about the National Women's History Project and Writing Women Back Into History go to www.nwhp.org. National Women's History Month is coming up in March. The theme is Our History is Our Strength. You will learn about Wendy Abrams, Founder and President of Cool Globes, Lupe Anguiano, Protector of the Earth and Activist for the Poor, Virginia Apgar graduated in 1933 from Columbia's College of Physicians and Surgeons, Roswitha Augusta, film maker, Mollie Beattie, first women to head the US Fish & Wildlife Service, and Arlene Blum bio-physical chemist, mountaineer and environmentalist and many, many more.

Learning about these women has given me a new foundation of pride in who I am as a woman and what I can be and do in this life. These are my sisters whose sacrifices and accomplishments had been lost to me. Now they are found and I have a new community of role models. They need to be shared.


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More